02 November 2012

FRIDAY. IT IS FRIDAY, PEOPLE. CELEBRATE!

I found this post in the draft archive. It's age can be determined by the list of TV shows. RIP Arrested Development...

Toss the crock pot.
I have finally found the method for cooking a roast that I will actually eat and enjoy.  I grew up with pot roast (please say that in a really dull, dead voice. p.o.t.r.o.a.s.t.) every Sunday after church - it was thrown in the oven before we left with some carrots, potatoes and stewed tomatoes.  It was terrible.  And EVERY Sunday.  I kid you not.  No gravy....but we did have white trash sauce.  How gross is that???? My mom was/is not much of a cook.  I could do a whole post on that.  Anyhow, when I got married I flat refused to cook or eat or discuss anything ending in "roast", looking like "roast" or smelling like "roast".  However, a couple of years ago, I started giving in and agreed to try a pork roast in a crock pot.  I tried NC style, SC style, my own style, etc.  They were ok.  I didn't voluntarily put it on the menu for the week, but if it was slid in there, I could deal.  Then, THEN! I started googling it, and thought I'd try a slow cook in the oven. I believe the initial inspiration came from The Pioneer Woman.  Of course ;)

I now have the dish perfected so when I pull it out of the oven, Loren says "Guy Fieri would take a bite of this and say OHMYGOD, ohmygod, this is SO good" :D  The down and dirty; I brine the meat for a day (8+ hours), then slow cook it for 8-14 hours.  The site I found that I follow the closest for the recipe is off of a blog called Kevin and Amanda.  The first few times I wasn't comfortable letting the roast cook overnight, but I did this last time b/c I was in a time pinch, and it worked out terrific.  Mind you, it was odd waking up at 4am to the scent of pork roast.  I tend to sleep longer than 8 hours on a weekend {obviously before Aurora made her appearance into our household}, so I lowered the temperature to 215 degrees, and the 4.5 lb pork roast was perfect in 10 hours.

TV CANDY: What are you all watching?  Here's my list on the DVR and Netflix

The Amazing Race
Divine Design {I don't watch this nearly enough}
Covert Affairs
White Collar
Modern Family
Burn Notice
Bones {BLAH}
Arrested Development {RIP}
True Blood
Hoarders {HATE THIS SHOW NOW - so depressing}

2 comments:

  1. Sounds YUMMY!! Thanks for following my bloggy!! I am following you now too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Burn Notice is our favourite show! We're fanatical about it and so excited it is returning this week!

    ReplyDelete